“Hey, can you help me move a couch…”
Few sentences create more fear in the modern world. (A close second is, “Hey, can you drive me to the airport?”
Yesterday my cousin Chuck reminded me of something I said years ago. Apparently another family member has been repeating it for years. I had created a memorable quote and I didn’t even know it. (Trademark pending, T-shirts being printed)
Years ago I was moving a couch with a different family member, Pete, and it was…not easy. (I don’t know what it is but much like magnets are attracted to metal, couches are attracted to tight corners.) As we were pushing, pulling, lifting and cursing, I said, “It rolls like a couch.”
Five life lessons learned from moving couches:
- Make a plan first – Think before you act
- It’s easier with help – Build a team, Find a mentor, Speak with friends
- Lift with your legs – Start with a strong base and build up from there
- Take the legs and cushions off – It’s better to start without all the bells and whistles
- Sometimes you need to pivot – When things aren’t working, try a different angle
Somethings are not easy, but they are worth it. Putting a comfortable couch is one of them. So is building a great company or being a good person. They may not be easy but they are worth the effort.
Thanks for joining me on this journey. It wouldn’t be the same without.
Leave a comment and let’s connect…